to our Web Site!
What Is Hell Like?
Is Hell a literal, physical place? I know Hell is a literal place. It was made for the devil and his angels and everyone who chooses to follow him. Matthew 25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: (KJV)
Is it a physical place? I know that the present day Hell (Hades) does exist physically somewhere. But, I believe it is only souls (spirits) who shall go there. But, Hell (the Lake of Fire) is a place of eternal torment. Death is simply separation. Physical death is separation of the body and soul. Spiritual death is separation from God (unbelievers). This can be remedied. Eternal death is eternal separation from God (2 Thes.1:8-9), which CANNOT be remedied.
Luke 16:22-24 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;  And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.  And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.  But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.  And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence. (KJV) . . . The rich man had scarcely entered Hades (the present day Hell, and holding place until Judgment Day), when he lifted up his eyes, and saw that he was separated from God (2 Thes.1:8-9), and felt tormented in the flame. IF the temporary Hell is that bad . . .consider what the real Hell shall be like!
1. The rich man then sees Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. He sees Lazarus clothed with glory and immortality. This was the first part in his punishment. Is it possible that the first view which condemned souls have, is to see the happiness of the righteous, and then remember how many times that they rejected Jesus? The realization that they are eternally excluded from what they could have had, will be the first circumstance of the punishment of the lost.
2. There shall be an eternal desire to escape from the torment of Hell, and an eternal desire to be united with the supreme good, which is GOD! This will be the second circumstance in the misery of the lost.
3. The remembrance of the good things the rich man possessed in life, will never be enjoyed again. Also the remembrance of grace offered or abused, will form a third circumstance in the agony of the wicked.
4. The torments which a soul endures in Hell will form, through all eternity, will be a continual present source of indescribable woe. Actual torment in the flames forms a fourth circumstance in the punishment of the lost.
5. To know that it is impossible to ever escape from Hell, or to know there will be no lessening of one's misery there, forms a fifth circumstance in the punishment of wicked people.
6. The sinful conduct of relatives and friends, who have been distorted by the bad example of those who are lost, is a source of eternal punishment to them. Those who have been instrumental in bringing others into Hell shall suffer deeper anguish in Hell.
Today's Hell (Hades) is a spiritual place since souls (which are not physical) are there. But, it may seem to a dead person that it is physical, just as to a righteous person, Heaven will seem physical. When a righteous person dies, their soul goes immediately into the Presence of God (2 Cor.5:6,8).
The future place called the “Lake of Fire” will be a physical place since people are cast into it AFTER the resurrection of the dead.
John 5:28-30 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.
 I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me. (KJV)
Daniel 12:1 And at that time shall Michael stand up, the great prince which standeth for the children of thy people: and there shall be a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation even to that same time: and at that time thy people shall be delivered, every one that shall be found written in the book. (KJV)
BOTH the righteous and the wicked shall be resurrected! BOTH shall be given a resurrected body. The righteous will have a body similar to our Lord Jesus (Phil.3:21; 1 John 3:2). Does it make sense that maybe the wicked may have bodies like the devil?
Today, Hell (Hades) is like a spiritual jail. After judgment takes place, all those in that jail shall be thrown into the Maximum Security Prison . . . the Lake of Fire (spiritual and physical).
There are two descriptions of the Lake of Fire in the Bible. One is of a burning fire. Revelation gives us the description of Hell being eternal torment as the Lake of Fire. When Jesus taught about Hell, as He often did, He mentions those in it as being in agony (Luke 16:24). Nearly everyone has been burnt and has felt the stinging pain and knows how it continues. This is the description the Bible uses to show us how painful Hell really will be and that the pain will never go away. Fire is a symbol of judgment.
Darkness is another description of Hell (Mat. 8:12). This to many is confusing. Darkness is the opposite of fire, which gives off light. But, Jesus does describe Hell as a place of darkness. Darkness is the symbol of terrible loneliness. There will be separation from God and man. Those who are consigned to Hell will be put out into the inky blackness of eternity, with nobody to turn to, nobody to talk to, and they will be constantly alone. They will suffer the remorse of knowing they had the opportunity to come into heaven with God but turned it down. Darkness is the absence of light. Light is knowledge. I believe darkness is what you find in prison: ignorance, denial, blame, anger. In Hell, like here on Earth, people will be blaming others . . . for they're being there. They will be angry at God for sending them there. They will protest their being cast into Hell. They will never acknowledge the truth, for darkness and ignorance reigns in Hell. There will most likely be certain parts of Hell worse than others, just like in a prison; there are worse places than others. You do NOT want in ANY part of Hell!
There will be NO exit from the Lake of Fire, NO way out, NO second chance. That is why it is so important in this life to receive the pardon that God extends to all men through the cross of Jesus Christ.
There absolutely IS a literal HELL.
You do NOT want to go there!
Can I Be Saved
Hell, Abraham's Bosom
Hell, Bottomless Pit
Hell, What is it Really Like
Hell, Who Goes There?
There a HELL?
The Lake of Fire
Soul Is Eternal
Who Bring The Gospel
Happens to Souls
Is Hell Like?
God Judge Sin?
God Really Send Me to HELL?
My Personal Thoughts About Hell